Wednesday, December 5, 2007

"Apple and Mug" - SOLD

I was asked a few questions about my technique. Hmmmm. Well I do use a new brush for each new color. I think that helps in laying down the first broad colors. But after the colors are all down my brushes no longer stay free of mixtures. I use different brushes that I have just collected over the years. I like the blue handled watercolor brushes from Utrecht, and I also use Utrecht paint. I also use the white synthetic flat brushes (the longer, and softer, the bristles the better). In order to get the "right" color, I isolate that color by looking through a hole punched through a 2"x2" square piece of gray cardstock. Once that color is isolated, it is so much easier to mix that color. I don't really know what more to say about my technique except that I am still trying to figure it out too.

5 comments:

JacMac said...

Thanks for the painting information Aaron. I don't think you need to "figure it out", your style and technique are unique. Just keep working at what your doing.

Jeff Mahorney said...

I love this one. You can't beat red off of green for popping out eh? Beautiful work as always and thanks much for sharing some info on your technique. I'm interested to hear anything you're willing to share. :)

A Reason to Paint said...

Nice - you have lovely loose brushwork.

Tracy Wall said...

Hi Aaron,
Occasional lurker; 1st time commenter. Found you from Daily Paintworks.
Love your painterly brushstrokes! Trying to complete a series of still lifes from the kitchen for a show in January, and you provide wonderful inspiration! Tidbits on your personal strategies may seem mundane, but are little gems for us. Thank you!

Tracy Wall said...

Oh, and I forgot to mention how I love the variety of the cool direct highlight vs the warm reflected light on the mug!